Site description

A blog for electronics professionals, amateurs, hackers, and anyone interested in the world of electronics.

3 September 2010

The Inner Geek



When I was a kid in the 1980s, I had a calculator watch. Not Just a calculator watch, but a scientific calculator watch. Prior to that, I had one you could play a game on. It was clear that this was the way forward for the 80s equivalent of geeks, techies and nerds. Portable data banks became big, and the home computer was taking the UK by storm, the next step was clearly to make it a programmable calculator. Only it wasn't. Things went all retro, with analogue dials back in favour. Chic, elegant, and very boring. I mean - all they do is tell the time, and maybe the date!


Now fast forward to 2010 and Apple have just announced their new updated iPod range. Yes, the iPod touch has been updated with a new higher res screen and camera, but the thing that caught my eye was the Nano.

It now has a tiny full colour, high res, full multi-touch screen. Oh lordy, just how much do I want someone in need of a modern geek watch to approach me with a sackful of money! I imagine it would need a full custom ASIC to drive, but with the right case, and the right OS, how sweeeeeet would that be? Just one thing though, I don't want it to be Apple branded. I'm afraid the whole Fanboy thing is getting a bit out of hand.

Here's hoping someone does a teardown soon. Who knows - they might be hackable!

No comments:

Post a Comment